Prep Time: 20mins. Cooking Time: 50mins. Servings: 8
- Cook these in a casserole dish in the oven as per the recipe, OR, in your slow cooker for 6-8 hours pending just how slow your slow cooker cooks. Tip: Look for the rice poking out of the meatballs looking nice and cooked as a guide to when they are done.
- Make your meatballs ahead of time and have them frozen in the freezer ready to quickly throw in the slow cooker with the sauce over the top when you’re having a super busy day.
- Make these extra yummy by adding a small cube of cheese to the middle of each meatball while making them.
- You can replace the passata mixture with 2 x 400g cans of tomato soup and the equivalent volume of water.
- 1kg Rhodavale Pork Mince
- 250g Rhodavale Pork Bacon Bits
- 1 large brown onion, finely diced
- 4 tablespoons of plain flour
- 1 cup of uncooked rice
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 690g bottle of tomato passata
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornflour
- 1.5 teaspoons of salt
- Optional Extra – small cubes of cheese to add to the middle of the meatballs
- Place the mince, bacon bits, onion, flour, rice, pepper & egg in a mixing bowl and use your hands to mix together until well combined.
- Once combined, form balls and place into a greased casserole dish/slow cooker bowl. One layer only if at all possible!
- Empty the entire bottle of passata into a saucepan.
- Fill your passata bottle with water and also add this to the same saucepan.
- Also add the sugar, salt & cornflour to the saucepan and whisk to combine.
- Heat gently until hot and thickened slightly, then pour over the meatballs.
- Cook in a moderate oven for approx. 45 to 50 minutes.
- Serve hot with mashed potato and steamed veg.